Tuesday, December 13, 2005

DVT

Deep Vein Thrombosis.

Had some leg pain, a Charlie Horse I thought. Then a knee problem. So I just wanted to wait it out and use Ben Gay etc.

But on Sunday last I was a Eucharistic Minister at the 8:00 mass and when holding the consecrated hosts after distributing communion I almost fell while climbing the two small altar steps. My knee wouldnt' hold my weight.

That was a sign from God saying "Stupid, go to the Doctor."

So yesterday I went.

The Dr. saw me as a late afternoon "squeeze in". He put me through a bunch of movement tests and made my leg hurt more by poking it all over. One movement test had him worried. So I am going to have a Doppler ultrasound done on Thursday a.m. to see if I have the suspected illness. DVT.

For those unfamiliar with it, it's the thing that former NBC Iraqi correspondent David Blume had - and died from. Unfortunately he died because he was trying to tough it out and he wouldn't get treatment, so he blew a clot (which is what DVT is - a blood clot in the vein in the leg) and it went to his lungs or heart and he died.

I should have stayed in bed today, that's what the Dr. wanted me to do, but today was the "office party" and gift exchange so I talked him into letting me work today. I promised not to do too much and he said ok. But I was dragging my butt by the end of the day, and I was in quite a bit of pain, so I am taking off tomorrow.

I am not amused with this turn of events, but what can I do? So tomorrow I will stay in bed with my left leg up and rest.

I'll let you know how the Doppler results come out as soon as I get them.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?