Monday, January 16, 2006

Martin Luther King Day 2006

One person told me we don't need to worry about scheduling a meeting for today because we didn't have any black people who would be attending. I guess she didn't get it. Today isn't a "black" holiday. It's an American holiday.

Martin Luther King was an American who championed the rights of Americans in their own country.

Maybe it would sink in if there was some kind of symbolism that we could associate with MLK. Yeah, I know, the "I have a dream" speech. But it's not really a symbol.

I'm talking log cabin Abe Lincoln, cherry pie George Washington, American Flag 4th of July (and Memorial Day) kind of symbol.

Where is the special "holiday" food that is associated with MLK Day? As far as I know there is none.

So without a symbol, people forget it's a holiday.

Or is the symbol a free black American and is that why people who fear such things tend to think of it as not significant to us all as a nation?

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?