Sunday, May 18, 2008

learning to be grandmom

Saturday I made dinner.

A ham bone, 2 bullion cubes, one zuchini sliced, 1/4 quarter of a cabbage, shredded, some wilted carrots, 1/4 of an onion, some nearly wilting celery, 1/2 a bag of frozen snap peas, 1 can of diced tomatoes and lots of water. Salt and pepper to taste and guess what you get? Vegetable soup.

Now that we can't afford to go shopping I'll be making more stuff like this. And it's not just me.

I also went grocery shopping on Saturday night. And what did I see? Not men putting things in the cart on impulse, but men telling their wives "no we don't want that, it's too expensive." Men doing price comparisons. Men looking for chuck steak not T-bone, men actually CARING about how much food costs.

Amazingly I saw women saying to their children "No we have cereal at home we won't get more until you eat what we have."

Recession. Another word for common sense.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?