Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day 2009

Who do you honor today?

My father never served in the military, nor did my grandfather. However, my Uncle Frank did. He was a PFC all the way through World War II. He did what he was told, and he survived the landing at Normandy and fought the Germans in Europe.

My father-in-law served in the South Pacific during World War II, he was a Sea Bee, building landing fields, and fighting the Japanese.

Ken's Uncle Henry, who served in Korea, the forgotten war.

Ken's Uncle Bruno, who served in the Army.

My Uncle John, who during World War II was a clerk in the Army, and never left the USA.

My Godfather, Uncle KoKo (Henry), who was in the Army Air Corps as a navagator towards the end of the war.

My husband, Ken, served 3 tours in Viet Nam, two on board a carrier, the Kearsarge, one tour at Cam Ran Bay in country. He was a "aviator storekeeper", meaning he supplied and ordered parts for aircrast.

Our friend Hank, who enlisted in the Navy at the same time as Ken and was sent to Viet Nam as a Corpsman.

My friend Carolyn, who after college graduation enlisted in the Army and served her country.

My sister's friend Janet, who although she has a PhD in Medical Technology, was only accepted into the Army Reserves as enlisted personnel because Med. Techs aren't considered as professional as even Nurses.

A casual friend of my son, who name is Piers, who served in the first Gulf War, tending the bodies of the dead.

Or do I also honor those who I did not know, those who are nameless, those who are now homeless wandering the streets of the nation they once defended?

Do I honor the French, the British, the Canadians? Do I honor only those who were our allies? Or do I honor those who served and the fallen of our enemies as well. After all, they too were defending their country.

Yes. I honor them all. The living and the dead. Allies and enemies.

After all today is Memorial Day. A day to remember those who have sacrificed for their nation, whichever that nation was.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?